The election of the new International Society for Biocuration Executive Committee (ISB EC) will be held in October 2018. The Executive Committee is composed of nine (9) members, each with a 3-year term. Being a member of the Executive Committee is a great way to become directly involved with the work of our society, and contribute to the decisions that are taken on behalf of the biocuration community. We would like to encourage all members interested in running for election to get involved in the process.
Serving on the ISB EC minimally involves attending monthly teleconference meetings (1 hour in length) and following up on any action points from meetings, as well as promoting the ISB’s activity to members and non-members. Examples of activities performed by EC members include reviewing micro-grant submissions, preparing call for participation for hosting Biocuration meetings, preparing materials for ISB election, monitoring ISB mail and website. There are specific positions such as Chair, Secretary and Treasurer that will require a larger time commitment, as they will be in charge of leading the steps of the executive committee and by extension the membership.
This year, there are four (4) open positions, as the terms of Sandra Orchard, Cecilia Arighi, Suzanna Lewis and Zhang Zhang will come to completion. (The current ISB EC members are here.)
2018 Electoral Process
A) The Nominating Committee:
A Nominating Committee (NC) has been formed to oversee the electoral process, to review applications, and establish the final list of candidates. We are very grateful for their assistance with the execution of this election. The members of the 2018 Nominating Committee are:
- Mike Cherry (Chair)
- Fiona McCarthy
- Lilly Winfree
- Sue Bello
- Luana Licata
B) Instructions to Candidates:
- If you would like to run for a position on the Executive Committee, you must first register your intent with the NC emailing email@example.com
- Please fill out this form by 31 August 2018, which includes a ‘statement of intent‘, a brief biographical sketch, and a ‘conflict of interests‘ statement describing any activities, memberships of other associations, editorial positions on journals, etc.
- Nominations will be received until 31 August 2018.
- The NC will review all candidacies and share their selections with the ISB membership by 14 September 2018.
- Candidates must be announced on website (with letters of intent) by 28 September 2018
- Voting will take place online over the course of one week from 01-08 October 2018. (Further details about the voting process will be shared soon).
- Only paying members with registration fees cleared on or before 19 September 2018 will be entitled and allowed to vote. If you pay your registration via bank transfer, please allow at least 2-3 working days for the payment to be processed.
The Nominating Committee is looking forward to receiving your applications!