The election of the new International Society for Biocuration Executive Committee (ISB EC) will be held from September 27 – October 04, 2021.
A list of 4 candidates for 2021 will be made available soon
The Executive Committee is composed of nine (9) members, each with a 3-year term. Being a member of the Executive Committee is a great way to become directly involved with the work of our society, and contribute to the decisions that are taken on behalf of the biocuration community. We would like to encourage all members interested in running for election to get involved in the process.
Serving on the ISB EC minimally involves attending monthly (1 hour) teleconference meetings, following up on any action items from meetings, and promoting the ISB’s activity to members and non-members. Examples of activities performed by EC members include reviewing micro-grant submissions, preparing call for participation for hosting Biocuration meetings, preparing materials for the ISB election, monitoring ISB mail and maintaining the website. There are specific positions such as Chair, Secretary and Treasurer that will require a larger time commitment, as they will be in charge of leading the steps of the EC and by extension the membership.
4 positions on the Executive Committee are up for election in 2021/2022. These positions are currently held by Mary Ann Tuli, Frederic Bastian, Jane Lomax, and Sandra Orchard. Mary Ann, Frederic, and Jane can re-stand for election. (The current ISB EC members are here.)
2021 Electoral Process
A) The Nominating Committee:
A Nominating Committee (NC) has been formed to oversee the electoral process, to review applications, and establish the final list of candidates. We are very grateful for their assistance with the execution of this election. The members of the 2021 Nominating Committee are TBD.
B) Instructions to Candidates:
- If you would like to run for a position on the Executive Committee, you must first register your intent with the NC by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please fill out this form by 27 August 2021, which includes a ‘statement of intent‘, a brief biographical sketch, and a ‘conflict of interests‘ statement describing any activities, memberships of other associations, editorial positions on journals, etc. (Please email us at email@example.com if you are unable to access this form.)
- Nominations will be received until 27 August 2021.
- The NC will review all candidacies and share their selections with the ISB Executive Committee by 13 September 2021.
- Candidates must be announced to the membership and on website (with letters of intent) by 20 September 2021.
- Voting will take place online over the course of one week from 27 September – 04 October 2021. (Further details about the voting process will be shared soon). The election officer is TBD.
- Only paying members* with registration fees cleared on or before 20 September 2021 will be allowed to vote. If you pay your registration via bank transfer, please allow at least 2-3 working days for the payment to be processed.
*Note – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have issues with registering or renewing your membership. Known issues exist with our membership payment system.
The Nominating Committee is looking forward to receiving your applications!