Mission of the ISB
The mission of the International Society for Biocuration is to:
- Help define the profession of biocuration with respect to the scientfic community and the granting agencies.
- Provide a forum for biocurators, and interested developers, researchers, and students to exchange experience and ideas. The current website, biocurator.org, will be extended to provide user profiles, including databases, research interests, and curation expertise.
- Organize regular conference where biocurators present their work and discuss their scholarly efforts.
- Lobby to obtain increased and stable funding for resources that are essential to research.
- Build a relationship with publishers and establish a link between researchers and databases through the journal publishers.
- Organize workshops where new biocurators, or interested students can be trained in the use of common tools such as the Gene Ontology, Genotype and Phenotype curation, GMOD tools, etc..
- Provide documentation on the use of common database tools.
- Provide gold standards for databases, such as the use of unique, traceable identifiers, use of shared tools, etc..
- Share documentation on standards, annotation procedures with the aim of developing standard operating procedures.
- Foster connections with user communities to ensure that the databases and accompanying tools meet specific user needs.
- Maintain a biocurator job market forum.