ISB provides conference travel grants for biocurators, software engineers, students, etc. whose work contributes to biocuration.
All conference participants associated with biocuration can apply; however, priority will be given to students and those in junior posts, as well as to applicants from low to middle-income countries or countries suffering from natural and humanitarian disasters. The award
committee will aim to choose awardees from a range of countries distributed in different continents, with around 2/3rd of the awards ring-fenced for low to middle-income countries and countries suffering from natural and humanitarian disasters. Previous recipients can apply again; however, they will be given a lower priority.
As the 17th International Biocuration Conference, will be held in Faridabad, India the ISB is supporting 5 International travel grants with a maximum of 3,000 CHF to cover travel expenses (e.g. hotel, flight, subsistence and ground transportation) and 6 travel grants with a maximum of 500 CHF for applicants working in India.
The applicant does not have to be an active ISB member, as the travel award will include ISB membership for 1 year.
The applicant must have submitted an abstract for a presentation/poster and only applicants who have had the abstract accepted for either a presentation or a poster by the conference organising/scientific committee will be eligible for a travel award. In addition, the applicant must agree to give either a presentation or a poster if they are successful in their application, or the award will be withdrawn.
Only the presenting author from a multi-author abstract may apply for a travel grant.
Once notified of a successful application, the recipient must register for the conference and arrange their travel themselves.
The recipient must agree to provide a photo of themselves before the meeting and provide a short summary of their current role and how they benefited from the conference after attending the conference. The photo will be included in the slides circulating during interval breaks. Both the photo and summary will be uploaded to the ISB website, circulated in the ISB Newsletter, and distributed via other online formats.
An individual can only be awarded a travel grant a maximum of once every 3 years and can receive no more than 2 travel grants.
The applicant must explain why they are requesting travel funds and how attending the ISB annual conference will benefit their career.
The deadline for application will be determined by the date of each conference.
Applications for the 17th International Biocuration Conference in Faridabad, India ( 5th March to 8th March 2024 ) are now open. The first round of applications are closed and a second round of applications are now open.
Apply here, open for applications from 30 October,
- Deadline date: Friday, 01 December 2023.
- Deadline time: 5pm GMT / 9:30pm India Standard Time.
The award notification will be sent via email at least 3 months before the conference will take place.
For the 17th International Biocuration Conference, initial notifications of awards were sent in October 2023. The applications are reopened for specific applicants (see below) with a new deadline on 01 December 23 and awardees will be notified within two weeks after the deadline.
Updates for 2024 Travel Awards (India Conference)
- Applications for travel awards were opened in September and an initial round of awards were granted.
- The applications are re-opened until 01 December 2023.
- We have 3 travel awards remaining:
- One (1) award for applicants from low-income countries: global north and global south (each 3,000 CHF maximum)
- Two (2) awards for applicants working in India (each 500 CHF maximum)
- Award recipients will be required to have an accepted abstract at the conference and register to attend and present at the conference, or the award will be withdrawn.
- Being a member of the ISB is not a requirement to apply for or receive a travel grant.
- For the 2024 Conference, we will offer a total of 11 travel fellowships:
- 2 awards for applicants from any area of the world (each 3,000 CHF maximum) (applications for this award is now closed)
- 3 awards for applicants from low-income countries: global north and global south (each 3,000 CHF maximum) (1 award is currently available)
- 6 awards for applicants working in India (each 500 CHF maximum) (2 awards are currently available)
- The ISB Awards subcommittee will review the applications, with consideration of our priority criteria (as listed above in the description) and inform the awardees within 2 weeks of the closing date.
- We will reopen the application deadline if there are any unassigned travel grants.