The FORCE11 Scholarly Communications Institute at the University of California, San Diego is a week long summer training course, incorporating intensive coursework, seminar participation, group activities, lectures and hands-on training. Participants will attend courses taught by world-wide leading experts in scholarly communications. Participants will also have the opportunity to discuss the latest trends and gain expertise in new technologies in research flow, new forms of publication, new standards and expectations, and new ways of measuring and demonstrating success that are transforming science and scholarship.
FORCE11 Scholarly Communication Institute (FSCI)
July 30 – August 3, 2018
University of California San Diego (UCSD)
UCSD School of Medicine – Medical Education and Telemedicine (MET). La Jolla, CA 92161 USA
Contact name: Stephanie Hagstrom
DEADLINE EXTENDED: 15th January 2018
The 11th International Biocuration Conference will be held from April 08-11, 2018 in Shanghai, China. The conference is a unique event for biocurators and developers of biological databases to discuss their work, promote collaborations, and foster a sense of community in this very active and growing area of research.
You are invited to submit an abstract for a talk or poster presentation at the upcoming conference. This is a great occasion to enhance the recognition of your work and of our profession by the greater biological research communities.
This year abstracts are invited for the following topic areas:
- Precision Medicine
- Phenotypes, genotypes, and variants
- Data Standards and Ontologies
- Text Mining
- Functional Annotation
- Community Annotation
- Data Integration and Visualization
- Deep Learning in curation process
- Softwares, Applications and Systems in biocuration
- Curation Standards and Best Practice; inference from evidence; data and annotation quality
Abstracts on topics outside the above will also be considered for presentation.
Please be mindful of the following deadlines:
Submission deadline: EXTENDED to: January 15, 2018
Notifications: January 15, 2018
Conference: April 8-11, 2018
Please submit your abstract here: https://easychair.org/cfp/biocuration2018
All questions about submissions should be emailed to email@example.com
Before submitting your abstracts please take into consideration:
- All abstracts must be written in English.
- The title and the abstract should be entered in plain text and should not contain HTML elements.
- The abstract should be written in an unstructured format. Separate sections for Background, Materials and Methods, etc., are not needed.
- Copy-paste text may include hidden formatting that exceeds the character limit. We recommend either: saving as ‘text only’ in your editor or e-mail program, OR copy-pasting it into Notepad and then onto the website.
- Abstracts should not exceed 300 words, with the limit of 2000 characters (with spaces).
- Some web browsers do not accept abstracts close to the 2000-character count.
- If you have special symbols in your text, please ensure you are using Unicode characters; otherwise these will not be recognized.
Call for Applications: ISB Travel Fellowships for Biocuration 2018
The International Society for Biocuration and the 11th International Biocuration Conference invite current ISB members to apply for Travel Fellowships to attend the 2018 conference in Shanghai, China.
We are pleased to provide current ISB members with a travel fellowship opportunity. We intend to support up to ten (10) applicants. Students, junior curators, curators from low-income countries, and curators from countries suffering from natural disasters are encouraged to apply. Selections will be prioritized by financial need.
Please note that applying for a fellowship does not guarantee that you will receive funding.
Each award will be issued as reimbursement for up to CHF $ 1,000 per fellowship depending on the costs of your registration and travel (e.g. hotel, flight, and ground transportation).
- ISB Travel Fellows must be able to cover their own conference registration fees and travel cost before attending the conference. ISB Travel Fellows will then submit receipts to request a reimbursement from ISB. Save your receipts!
- A bank transfer for up to CHF $1,000 – depending on your registration and travel costs – will be arranged for ISB Travel Fellows.
- The Biocuration Travel Fellowships Committee will advise you on how to receive these funds as reimbursement at the end of the conference.
Requirements and Procedures
Each applicant for a travel fellowship must satisfy the following conditions:
- The applicant must be an active ISB member. To become a member go here: https://www.biocuration.org/membership/membership-levels/
- The applicant should have submitted a poster or oral presentation at the Eleventh International Biocuration Conference.
- Only the presenting author from a multi-author abstract may apply for a fellowship.
- The applicant must submit an accompanying letter explaining why s/he is requesting travel funds and how s/he envisions that attending the Biocuration Conference will benefit her/his career.
- Application Deadline: application materials should be sent to ISB via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Travel Fellowships to Biocuration 2018’ on or before January 31, 2018.
Notification of award will be sent via email by 16 February, 2018 and announced on the ISB website after acceptance of the award.
Applicants should review visa requirements and make all necessary arrangements on their own. The conference can provide an invitation letter for registered participants. Please contact email@example.com to request a letter of invitation.
Your colleagues at the ISB Executive Committee.