The Office of Data Science within the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) is seeking to recruit a Semantic Engineer/Ontologist. This position is under contract. It is a great opportunity for someone to help shape our long term strategy around environmental health science terminologies and specifically on how we approach data curation, develop the appropriate terminologies, apply metadata to datasets, and create an infrastructure enabling data discovery and analysis.
Please submit your cover letter and resume/CV to Charles.email@example.com no later than January 31, 2010.
- Advise and actively contribute to adopting ontologies/terminologies into data analysis and data management activities
- Manage the metadata catalog (Synaptica) and increase its use to utilize standard language across applications (e.g., integration with Confluence)
- Support/lead our goals of having an annual community workshop and related activities (webinars) around environmental health ontologies. This would be in collaboration with community members.
- Support/lead the existing EPA-NIEHS community of practice around ontologies.
- Serve as an advisor to our Division of Extramural Research and Training in regards to ontologies
- Actively monitor the ontology/knowledge representation space broadly and serve as an expert in advising the rest of NIEHS
- Hands on experience in developing biomedical ontologies and terminologies, ideally on both the biology side and the clinical side
- Hands on experience in applying ontologies for data management and data analysis (e.g., experience with enrichment analysis)
- Strong presence in meetings in order to represent NIEHS and advocate for NIEHS goals
- Ability to build and lead collaborations
- Preferred: experience with Protégé, Synaptica Graphite, or similar tools and ability to write software at a level sufficient to programmatically work with ontologies