GOBLET is the Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training, an umbrella for Bioinformatics, Biocuration, Biocomputing & Computational Biology learning, education & training.
Training and education are important goals for the ISB. The ISB is one of the founding members of GOBLET, which was established as legal entity November 2012. GOBLET currently counts over 30 members.
GOBLET addresses the need for a more formal and joined up approach for training the bioinformatics and computational biology international community.
GOBLET aims to:
- Provide a global, sustainable support and networking structure for bioinformatics educators/trainers and students/trainees (including a training portal for sharing materials, tools, tips and techniques; guidelines and best practice documents; facilities to help train the trainers; and offering different learning pathways for different types of learner)
- Facilitate capacity development in bioinformatics in all countries
- Develop standards and guidelines for bioinformatics education and training
- Act as a hub for fund gathering
- Reach out to, amongst others, teachers at high schools, to bridge the gap to the next generation of bioinformaticians, and
- Foster the international community of B3CB trainers
The first official annual general meeting of the Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education and Training (GOBLET, www.MyGoblet.org) was held on Nov 7, hosted by the TGAC center. The meeting marked the beginning of the future for GOBLET.